Friday, October 25, 2013

sLog Struggles

I'm sure complaining about sLogs is also part of the sLog process. I dislike sLog's greatly, I think they're a waste of time for me. I actually quite hate them, I actually hate the whole idea of many tiny assignments holding our grades hostage. I think courses should just be two to three big assignments/examinations, I feel like this idea of constant engagement arrests the creativity of students. Imagine a course where someone just lay out all the information and says "This is what you need to know and demonstrate that you understand under novel situations to be considered proficient" then they proceed to give you certain dates certain things are due. Imagine the time the student would have? An industrious student would be able to say "I'll learn all this at my own pace, doing somethings early and doing others at my own schedule." Heaven forbid they could even be given this knowledge beforehand? I think this system is outdated and personally frustrating.

When you think about it, adding up the exercises, exams, assignments, labs, slog entries: are marks are distributed between 31 separate events. I think there's a much lower and reasonable number.

No comments:

Post a Comment